Event Type Overview:
Number of Attendees: 10-20
Types of Activities: Presentations, document distribution, snacks
Ways to Go Green:
- In place of printouts, consider using a laptop and projector to project all meeting materials. Make meeting materials available electronically for attendee use following the meeting.
- If meeting materials must be printed, print materials double-sided, on a minimum of 30% post-consumer content recycled paper.
- Ask presenters at the meeting to refrain from bringing copies of their presentation. Make presentations available electronically for attendee use following the meeting.
- Choose a location that is centrally located and provides video or phone conferencing options. Provide information on bus and bike routes to the meeting venue and provide information on the location of bike racks. Also provide information on ride-sharing resources, such as GoLoco, to encourage meeting attendees to carpool when possible.
- Provide and clearly mark containers for food waste recycling. Prior to the meeting, designate someone from the meeting who is willing to compost food waste from your meeting in their backyard compost bin. If you think you may have leftover food, contact local shelters or food kitchens to learn about donation opportunities.
- Only serve beverages in reusable cups or recyclable containers. Avoid bottled water whenever possible. If additional serving ware is necessary, only use reusable plates and silverware.
- Make sure that the venue for your meeting provides recycling for paper, as well as cans and bottles. Point out recycling containers to attendees at the beginning of the meeting.
- Try to purchase locally grown food for any snacks to be provided at your meeting. If providing coffee, be sure it is sustainably-produced. Consider purchasing fresh produce from a farmer's market or ask your local bakery if they use local ingredients. Many farmers and ranchers provide local food year-round.
- Use bulk dispensers for condiments. For example, provide a sugar bowl instead of individual packets.
- Share information with meeting attendees on efforts made to make the meeting green and how they can help.